Solid-state power switches for various applications
Astrol's solid-state power switches are available in the high-power range, with voltages of up to 100kV and scalable current rating, often in the range of tens or even hundreds of kiloampere. They are fully solid state, meaning that they switch high currents without any moving parts. The current is switched on and off by semiconductor elements, which are series connected to achieve the required voltage rating, and in some cases parallel connected to achieve higher current ratings than a single element.
Specialist in pulsed power swicthes
We offer a wide range of designs and products, starting from single stack assemblies with gate drive units, to fully integrated switching solutions, including control and measuring hardware and software.
Our special focus lies on pulsed power switches, as well as AC-switches for various applications.
Our solid-state power switches are based on thyristor and/or IGBT power semiconductor technology. The design is usually customized, based on standardized buildings blocks which are combined in countless possible combinations.
Main functions and features of solid-state power switches:
- Safe, fast, efficient switching of high power electrical current.
- The solid-state power switches are an alternative to mechanical and vaccuum switches, and ideal in environments where fast, frequent and arc-free switching is required.
- Compact design with high power density
- Several inhouse developed clamping systems to guarantee evenly distributed clampling force over system lifetime
- Smooth integration of Power electronic circuit, gate drivers, control and measuring electronics, mechanical design and software, which are all designed in-house at Astrol.
The solid-state power switches are an alternative to mechanical and vacuum switches, and ideal in environments where fast, frequent and arc-free switching is required.
This can be in the following applications:
- Neutral section switch in railways: Single phase 25kV AC dual switch substations
- Renewable energies: 3-phase AC-switches
- Fusion Power
- Research Laboratories
- Matrial Treatment: Sintering, metal forming
- Grid impedance measurements
- Medical systems
- Radar Systems
- Environmental Protection: e.g. Flue Gas Treatment